Winter is the most likely time of year to have a home fire. Half of all home fires occur in December, January, and February.
Below are some of the most common causes of winter home fires and some safety tips.
- One in every seven home fires and one in every 5 home fire deaths occur due to faulty heating equipment.
- Keep all combustible items at least three feet away from any heat source like fireplaces, wood stoves, furnaces or space heaters.
- Keep portable generators outside, away from windows and doors, and as far away as possible.
- Install and test carbon monoxide detectors at least once a month
- Plus only ONE heat-producing device into an electrical outlet at a time. Preferably the only device using that plug.
- Clean and inspect your chimneys once a year. Especially if you use fireplaces or wood stoves.
- Store cooled ashes outside in a STEEL container and keep it at least ten feet from your home.
You can download these tips from the NFPA as a handy infographic. Download Infographic
ABOUT HURLEY INSURANCE
Since 1939, Hurley Insurance has been serving the personal insurance, business insurance and life insurance needs of all of Lawrence and Scioto Counties in Ohio. A long time Grange independent insurance agency located in Ironton, OH, Hurley Insurance has deep roots in the community, and is committed to providing the highest quality local service to our clients.